Wednesday, February 18, 2009

MY BIG LITTLE BROTHER



NORMAN AND I Then and now.

2-16-09...MY BIG LITTLE BROTHER

My brother Norman was only a year old when I started to school. Not old enough to miss me but I sure missed him. I thought he was my baby and was afraid someone would come steal him while I was gone. He was such a cute little baby and as he grew he was so sweet. Kind hearted big smile and very sensitive.
I was the opposite. Loud and flighty, didn't smile as much. But I was sensitive to my brother. No one better have bothered him then. No one better bother him now!
One day in school I saw Norman scuffling with some boys at recess. I charged across the grounds like a mad bull and tackled all three of them. Gave them a few scratches and told them to leave my brother alone. Now I know that the only reason they didn't box me around was because I was a girl, guess I had an advantage, but they left my brother alone by golly. YEP! I could get on to him but no one else could.
Then when Norman was around 4 he would run up the lane to meet me when I got off the school bus. He was really missing me then. I can still see that big sweet smile and hear him calling, Sister, which is what he called me. He would take my book satchel and proudly carry it as it drug the ground almost, as he told me everything that he had done that day. We didn't often have sweets or pops but when we did Norman would proudly announce the news to me.
Anything I asked him to do he was willing to do for me no mater what it was. He covered for me at times to keep me out of trouble. Never tattled on me. But even when we were young Norman would try to give me advice. “Now Clydene I don't think this is a good idea” he would often say. But If I insisted he was right there to help me. As I've said often, We got in to mischief together and we got out of it together.
One day we were squabling and fussing at each other. My new words were I hate You and I got my face slapped every time I said it by my Mama. I told Norman I hate you and he slapped the tar outta' me. I was stunned to say the least. Well stunned was probably not the word for it. I was red hot mad! Norman had never done that to me. He had always been gentle and easy going. I was stubborn and wanted my way. I just could not believe that my little brother had hit me. I flew in to him like a wild cat. Well This time Norman fought back. It didn't last long cause Mama was on the scene fast and put a halt to it It was all my fault and I knew it but Norman wasn't saying a word, so I didn't either. Well, I didn't say anything till my Mama decided to spank us both. That's when my big sister instincts kicked in. “No Mama you can't” I hollered. “What do you mean I can't Clydene, if you keep on you will get double”. “I don't care Mama, You aint a gonna spank my brother, you just aint”! Whack! Well by golly I did get double but when she turned to Norman I came unhinged again. I got spanked again but I finally got through to Mama that Norman shouldn't have a spanking because It was all my fault. I didn't tell her he slapped me because I figured I needed it. He had seen Mama do it when I said those hateful words so he did it to. My brother was learning to defend himself and I was proud of him even if I was the first to face his defense.
He was The Greatest Brother anyone ever had. We are now as we were then, very close and have a great love for each other. My Little brother towers over me now but he is still my Little Brother. We were the only two kids and we are all that is left now. Bit what a hum-dinger of a good life childhood we had. YEP!!!

No comments: