Monday, February 23, 2009

RUNNING THROUGH THE DIAMONDS

2-22-09...RUNNING THROUGH THE DIAMONDS

When I took Moses out this morning just at daybreak I saw a beautiful scene. There was a big frost on the ground. The sun was rising and as I looked across the yard it was like a million sparkling diamonds, rubies, emeralds etc. All colors and sparkling so brightly it almost hurt my eyes. Wow! Such a sight that I have very rarely seen with the sun just the right angle on the ground. Made me remember another time in my youth when I beheld a sight like this.
I was moody one morning and sooo! Grouchy no one could stand me. In fact I could hardly stand myself. I was 13 and not a kid anymore but certainly not as grown up as I thought I was. You know, 13 going on 25? That was me. Nothing or no one suited me. I had never felt this way before with urges and wants I didn't understand. I had been looking at some catalogs and magazines and seeing so many frilly things that I had never seen before. All I had ever yearned for was a Coke and a Snicker candy bar. I didn't always get those but it never had bothered me like I was bothered now. Thing was, I didn't even know what it was I wanted. Just something I didn't and couldn't have. Aint that always the way it is? Daddy told me many times, "Clydene if you don't know what you want then you probably just want to want and don't need anything". Well to me that sounded stupid but of course I didn't tell Daddy that.
It was cold that morning and it was Saturday. Brenda was gone somewhere with Auntie and I couldn't go cause I had just got over the flu. Don't think it was really called flu then. I couldn't go outside for the same reason and I was not happy at all. I showed Mama a picture in a magazine of a beautiful lady. She had a fur coat on and had jewelry from her hair to her hands. It was pink and the picture said, Dressed to party in her (can't remember the name of the company) pink diamonds. "This is what I want Mama, all these diamonds, aint they pretty"? "Yes Clydene they are very pretty but come here and let me show you something prettier." Mama opened the wooden door and told me to look out the screen. I looked and there was the sun shining on the frost just like this morning with all the sparkling colors of the rainbow. "Oh Mama that's just frost' I said. I couldn't see how Mama thought that was prettier than pink diamonds. "Clydene just look, God has decorated the whole outdoors just for you, Why, you could run through the diamonds out there". Well Mama said it and before she could say another word here I went. I was running through the diamonds in my socks with no coat or hat and I loved it. I ran around in that colorful, sparkling yard and shouted, "Look at me Mama, I'm running in the jewels". My mood was lifted instantly but Mama said "Come on in now Clydene before you get sick again". I went inside and got clean socks and my shoes on and Mama gave me a cup of coffee to warm me up. Yep! I have been drinking coffee since I was a kid and I do love my coffee. Mama was sure I'd take a 'back set' and get sick again but I didn't. God gave me diamonds to run through and I did it. I thought about running through the jewels this morning but thought better of it. I can't run very well any more anyway. NOPE!!!

No comments: