Sunday, August 9, 2009

AN EMBARRASSING MOMENT

8-9-09...AN EMBARRASSING MOMENT

I was talking to my friend Tommy yesterday and he was talking about something that brought back a very embarrassing time for me.
We were in the fifth grade, ten years old. My Mama had the 'birds and the bees' talk with me and I thought I understood it all but apparently I did not.
The County Fair was going on in Ozark and Tommy (who was in my class) was helping his older brother with a pig and her piglets. They took them to the fair for judging. Tommy was telling the story of the sow and her piglets one day in class.
He was telling how his brother had raised a piglet as a 4/H project. He had then had the pig bred. Well that is where I lost out on the story line.
I was thinking when he said bred the sow he was talking about feeding her bread so she would have babies. Somehow I just knew that was not the way of it. I wasn't real sure about it so I figured I'd just ask before he went on with the story.
"Bread, bread, bread" I was saying, "What do you mean you fed her bread? My Daddy don't feed his pigs bread". I went on and on till others were giggling and pointing at me.
I guess Miss Pansy really didn't know how to handle this situation, or maybe she was in total shock, but she didn't intervene for a while and I just kept on trying to understand why Tommy thought you had to feed pigs bread. Heck fire our pigs ate slop.
Well I don't really know what Miss Pansy finally did because I was looking and talking to Tommy. He had put his head down on his desk and said stupid girl. He was madder'n'a old settin' hen. There was instant quiet in the room and I head Miss Pansy say, "CLYDENE". I looked at her and she was shaking her head at me saying NO! Well I hushed up but I was still very confused. Everyone was jeering at me on the playground and I think Tommy would have liked to knock my block off.
Somehow Miss Pansy got word to my Mama and she explained to me what was meant by 'bred'. I was so embarrassed !! I couldn't look at Tommy for a long time and I don't think he wanted me anywhere near him. I still didn't really understand but I knew I hadn't better do that again.
Somebody else did something and I was off the hook. Everyone forgot my goofiness and someone else took my place. That is the way it goes with kids. I had forgotten all about it until Tommy was talking about the fair and that sow and her piglets. Tommy still don't remember the incident. Good, I'm glad he don't. YEP!!

No comments: