Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SENIOR MOMENTS

8-4-09...SENIOR MOMENTS

A few weeks ago I came out of Wal Mart and got in my car. Well I thought it was my car. It wasn't! It was just like my car. Same color, same model. I should have been tipped off by how clean the car was in the first place but I wasn't. I tried to put my key in the ignition and it didn't work. Not until that moment did I realize that this was not my car. I was embarrassed and also scared. What if the owner saw me and had me arrested? Oh My Gosh! I quickly got out and went on the next isle to my car. I was shaking. My goodness what if my key had worked in the car. I've heard that sometimes they do. I don't know about that but 'what if' still rolls around in my head. People are stupid for not locking their car in a busy parking lot. Never know when someone like me will have a senior moment. NOW CAN YOU?
That was what is called a 'Senior moment" and I have been having quiet a few of them lately. I'm forgetful to say the least. Sometimes I will go from one room to another and by the time I arrive in the next room I have completely forgotten why I am there. Another scary moment.
One day I came home from shopping and was busy putting things away. I opened a roll of paper towels to replace an empty one. I took the cylinder off the towel holder and laid it down on the counter, picked up the new roll and very politely walked over and put the full roll in the trash. I was in the process of installing the empty cylinder on the holder when I came to my senses. My Gracious! I very hurriedly retrieved the roll out of the trash can and put it where it belonged. Thank goodness it wasn't soiled in the trash and thank goodness no one saw me. One day I did burn a box of tea. Good Grief.
Then there was the day I came home and forgot to get my groceries out of the car for almost three hours. Good thing it was in the winter. Nothing spoiled.
I have gotten in the shower only half undressed and you've already heard about me putting my clean nighties in the toilet. I went in a store one day to pay a bill and I was in the wrong store. I even tried to convince them to take my money for my bill. That young guy could have taken it if he had been dishonest. I realized my mistake and there was another red faced senior moment. I could go on but you get the point don't you?
I remember watching my Grandpa take one shoe off, polish and shine it, put it back on his foot, lean back and relax a few seconds, then by golly he took the same shoe off and proceeded to polish it. I giggled so hard it took me a while to tell him what he was doing. I giggled and giggled and giggled till he told me to shut up. I realize now it wasn't very funny to Papa. Same things happened with my parents.
Now that it is me I know how they felt at the time even though they laughed about it later.
I'm still laughing about my Senior Moments now. I just hope I never lose the ability to laugh at myself. Laughter is good medicine. Maybe it will keep my brain more clear for longer so I can enjoy my senior Moments. Recon it will? Yep, sure it will.



No comments: