Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THINGS ARE SO DIFFERENT

1-18-10...THINGS ARE SO DIFFERENT

Things are different here in the country, there is just no getting around it. I've lived in big cities, medium sized cities, and small towns. It is just different down where I grew up. Of course the fact that I grew up in the 50's makes a big difference. Also the fact that I grew up poor as a church mouse, (whatever that means) makes the biggest difference I suppose.

Kids today don't know how good they have got it. Most of them either don't believe, or can't comprehend how it was then. When they get up in their warm homes, go to the heated modern bathroom, ride in a warm vehicle to a warm modern school, that is all they've ever known. In the hot weather it is the same. They never have to be hot unless they choose to. There was no relief anywhere for us. I think I am lucky really for having experienced both worlds. I guess I take these things for granted also at times but all I have to do is think back a few years to know the difference.

One morning I was up getting ready to catch the bus to school. The house was extra cold that morning because the gas pressure had gone down so low there was hardly any flame in the stove. Mamma had to cook on that little bit of heat and it took longer. She got up a lot earlier to do it because she knew the pressure was down during the night.

There was snow on the ground and Daddy had already left for the coal mine where he worked long before daylight. Norman was two and he got up out of his warm bed and wanted breakfast. He didn't understand of course that I needed to eat so I could catch the bus to school. I was also whining because I was cold I guess. At six I was learning the way of things but that morning it was just too much. Poor Mamma, I remember her standing there at the stove with Norman and I both complaining. How horrible that had to be for her.

I finally got my warm oatmeal and Mamma bundled me up. I started off to the bus stop which was about the same as two city blocks now. No phones or even announcements on the radio then to let us know there was no school that day because of the snow.

Brenda was not there but she was always late so at first I didn't pay much attention to that. She was sick that day and never came. Problem was neither did the bus come.

I don't know how long I stood there waiting but I suspect it wasn't long till I went back home. My shoes were caked with snow. I took them off on the porch and went in to the little stove with not much heat still. I took my socks off and sat in front of the stove with my feet close. It hurt and I started crying. Mamma put Norman down and wrapped my feet in towels. My feet had frost bite on them. No going to a Dr. I was taken care of right then and there, that was the way of it. I don't remember what all she did but I remember warm water and towels. My heels turned white a few days later and finally peeled off. It wasn't a fun ordeal for any of us but that was the way of it then. We took care the best we could and we did OK.

That is just one of the many things that were different then. It was never easy but it was what we knew so that was that. I can't help but think that young people and kids now have missed a lot by not experiencing some of the things we did. They don't have any reason to appreciate what they have because they've never known any other way. I think that is Sad

No comments: