Tuesday, March 2, 2010

THE JOYS OF SPRING

3-1-10...THE JOYS OF SPRING

Boy oh Boy am I thinking about spring right now.. Some of my favorite things are the flowers and trees in bloom.I love seeing the robins hopping around their nest, trying to protect their blue eggs. There are at least two of them in my yard right now and man are they busy little critters. They hop around finding worms out of the still cold ground and twigs for their nests. Every year I just am positive that they are here too soon but they never are.
I love the feel of grass under my bare toes or just throwing on flip flops to wear to the store. More often than not though I'm barefooted.I like the summer colors, yellow, blue, green, lavender. I always had a new yellow Easter dress for church.Like my mama before me. Happy thoughts are what comes to mind when I hear the word spring.
Spring means new, fresh, and alive. I think we’re allowed to start thinking about it now!! Finally it’s March and for the moment air temperatures are hanging between 30 – 40f and showing signs of a bit of warming. Oh sure, we might get a bit more cold and a bit more snow as Winter fights to keep it’s grasp. But with the days growing longer, things starting to bud, and even some green grass showing in some spots in my yard, I think it is time to start planning on spring. According to the Groundhog in February we had six more weeks of this nasty weather. That is the official groundhog (what's his name?) but in my neck of the woods we have our own groundhog (can't remember his name either) and he says spring has arrived. If so it won't be long till flowers are blooming and bees are buzzing around them.
My Mamma used to have spring cleaning for what seemed like ages on end. But when she was ready for spring cleaning it seemed I always had spring fever . This is the time of year when lots of people, young and old, have spring fever. Nowadays it is mostly a state of mind -- not a malady – which commonly occurs on balmy sunny days in April and May. It is characterized by an "oh, shucks" notion that nothing is so important that it can't wait. You have an almost irresistible urge to play hooky, get out-of-doors, and go fishing or saunter aimlessly along or maybe just lie and bask in the sun. Mar. 26--Every year around this arrival of spring, a mysterious affliction strikes young and old. A thermometer may not register a fever, but many symptoms still exist. Oh how I hated to go to school in those Spring days of April before school was out in May. I would much rather be outside and found it hard to concentrate on lessons.
Right now I have an urge to take a big glass of iced tea outside and dig around in warm spring soil but I know there is no warm soil to be found. Hey I even like the spring storms and all the April showers.
Now having said all this and tootin' the horn of spring I have to say I don't like what comes next. Summer is tortuous to me and spring doesn't ever seem to last long enough. Nope I wont ever be tootin' the horn for summer

No comments: