Saturday, September 19, 2009

MY GREAT UNCLE CHARLEY CRABTREE

9-19-09...MY GREAT UNCLE CHARLEY CRABTREE

I hadn't thought of Uncle Charley in years so I don't know why a vivid picture of him popped up in my mind this morning. He was tall, skinny, and kind of walked with a lurching gait covering the ground fast with long legs. His head would bob up and down with each step and his arms would swing out. A comical sight.
I think Uncle Charley must have had a hard time getting pants to fit him because he always looked like a gawky boy who had out grown his britches. His too short pants were topped off with a much too big flannel shirt boasting the top of his red long johns sticking out at his neck. He wore a brown hat that looked like rats had bedded down in it when he took it off. Over this garb he sported a red and black check flannel coat. Uncle Charley was a comical sight and it was hard for me not to get in a giggle fit when he was around. Knowing my britches would be warmed up usually kept the giggles away. USUALLY!!! Giggles are still something I have a hard time controling. YEP!
Uncle had a gravely voice that kept me wanting to clear my throat for him. That voice would grate on your nerves after a while. It wasn't just me but anyone else in the room would ahem' ahem', trying to help him talk without that grind.
Uncle Charley walked up the rail road track from Alix Ar. To our house in Denning and he stayed all day when he came. He always perched in Mama's rocker , much to her aggravation, and that's where he remained. Uncle Charley was treated well and always made welcome even though he was trying on the nerves. He Was Family don't ya know and family stuck together. I was taught loyalty and pride in Family. Even though I was always glad to hear him say I gotta be goin', I was still polite as a six year old could possibly muster up. Mamma said, “Now Clydene Uncle Charley is lonesome and we are the only family he has close enough to visit. He don't come very often so we will be nice to him”. Well all I could think was thank goodness he don't come very much. I think Mamma had the same thought though she never said so. HE HE!

No comments: