Friday, June 5, 2009

THANK YOU LADY

6-4-09...THANK YOU LADY

Now I don't have much money. I eat regularly, have clothes on my back, and a good bed to sleep on. But material things I never had, never needed. So when I walked out of a local store this morning and started to get in my car I spotted a little boy sitting on the curb. He was sweating heavily. It was running down all over his face in black streaks as it rolled over the dirt. He was breathing heavily as if he had been running and mixed in with those dirty tears I could see that there were tears mixed in. His little knee was skinned and bleeding and he was swiping the end of a tee shirt he had on across the blood on his knee. The shirt was too large for him and looked like it had never been clean. It was hanging over what looked to be a mans jeans cut off to match his shorter legs. He didn't look up at me as I walked around him to get to my car. I couldn't stand it. Tears came to my eyes and I said, "Are you OK honey"? "Yep" was his reply.
The store was The Dollar General. I only stopped long enough to remember how much money I had in my purse which was 12 dollars and a few cents. I asked him if he would wait right there for a few minutes while I went back in the store. "yep" again was his reply.
I went in and back to the children's clothes. I found a red tee shirt with Arkansas in white letters on front for three dollars. I found a pair of shorts in a small size black with red stripes down the legs for three dollars. Then I got a pair of what we used to call thongs. Little rubber shoes with a strap that sticks between your toes for 1:50. I paid for them and headed back to the little boy.
I said "Honey are you hungry?" "Yep". "Come on and lets walk over here to the drive in OK?" "YEP".
I had a package of wet wipes that I carry in my purse just in case I need them. I opened my sack and got out the clothes and shoes. "Here honey take these in the bathroom and change in to them. Here is some cloths to wipe your face. Wash your hands in the sink before you come out". "Kay", well finally something besides Yep I thought.
While he was in the bathroom I ordered a burger basket for $5.50. With my change I had enough to pay for his meal. For $12.50 and tax I had done something good for one little urchin that brought tears to my eyes and made a little boy smile broadly and say, "Thank You Lady"! I was beginning to think he couldn't say anything but Yep for a while there.
As I left and started back to my car I had the most wonderful feeling I have had in a long time. I don't know if the little dirty faced boy was in need or just tired and dirty from play. You know what?. It don't really matter does it? I could no more have walked by that little Guy than I could stop breathing. And boy did it make my day better. Sometimes we just have to do what we feel in our hearts don't we? YEP!!

No comments: