Friday, June 5, 2009

I AM BLESSED

6-3-09...I AM BLESSED

A couple of months ago one of my neighbors (lives about a mile away) came up early one morning and wanted to borrow a cup of sugar. No problem, I got it for him. He said he would have it back to me that afternoon. I told him no don't bring it back. I was glad to loan a cup of sugar. That is something that don't happen much any more and I told him that I may need to borrow a cup of something one of these days. Used to be thats what we did. Many a time I've ran up the road with a cup in my hand to borrow something when I was a kid. I usually went to My Aunties but sometimes Mama already knew that Auntie was out of it too so she would send me somewhere else. Nothing was thought of it then. We just helped one another. Sometimes everyone around us was out of things too and we all just made do until someone got to town. Or maybe we had to wait until someone got the money to go buy it. Then we all has some of whatever it was until someone else got the money.
I remember we always had a bucket of sorghum molasses and that was used in the place of sugar when need be. Honey worked also but we didn't have honey all the time. If you didn't have milk then things were made with water. Water gravy, pudding, bread, and etc. If you didn't have flour then you used cornmeal. If you didn't have cornmeal then you just didn't think much of it. That is just the way it was and we accepted it period.
My neighbors wife must have worried about the sugar. She didn't bring it back and I never wanted her to. I forgot all about it. Then one day last week I had been gone. When I got home and pulled into the carport I saw a beautiful plant sitting on my steps. I was very surprised to say the least. It had a note attached to it. The note said, Clydene thank you for the sugar. I kept forgetting to bring it back so I thought you would like this plant. Oh My Goodness, I do like the plant but I sure didn't expect it. A beautiful plant for a cup of sugar. I wonder what I would have gotten if I had lent her five pounds of sugar. I called her and I was almost in tears. I couldn't thank her enough. I am pleased and happy but I wish she hadn't felt the need to do it. She said she just wanted me to have the plant anyway. Now isn't that sweet? The nicest thing I've had happen to me in a while and I told her that. I am blessed to have her for a neighbor and friend and I believe she feels blessed by me also. Now isn't that how it should be? Yep Sure Nuff!!!

No comments: