Sunday, May 10, 2009

LITTLE LOST BIRD

5-4-09...LITTLE LOST BIRD

I have a finch feeder hanging on the eave of my house. It is hanging close to the window right in front of my chair. I love to watch the birds. Not only finches but all wild birds come to feed. I have a pair of Cardinals that eat side by side along with the little finches. The finches are gray and drab in the winter but in the spring they are colorful. Blue, red, yellow. I have squirrel feeders hanging in trees around my house and the squirrels never bother the bird feeders. I also have hummingbird feeders.
As I was watching the birds four mornings ago it was pouring down rain. The feeder is mostly in the dry. A little bird lit on the perch that I had never seen before. He was a pitiful sight. Looked like he was almost drowned. He sat there trembling and holding his wings out to dry. He really looked so bad I was afraid he would fall off the perch. I thought to myself that another bird would come and run the poor little thing off. I didn't know what to do for the little thing. He sat there until he began to dry and started fluffing his feathers. That ugly wet bird turned into a beautiful sight. His belly was snow white, his neck was red, his back was a bluish black with white feathers. I have never seen a bird like it as it is not a common one here.
There is no telling where that bird came from. No telling how many miles he had flown in that pouring rain. I felt so sorry for him. He ate his fill then he was gone. Amazingly the other birds let him eat. They wouldn't eat with him. They would fly up there but never perch. I'm sure they didn't recognize the bird either.
I got my bird book and tried to find a picture of him but never found one. I got on the INTERNET but no luck there either. Oh well I thought, I hope he is all right and gets where he is going.
The next morning there he was again. He still looked puny but he ate his fill and was gone again. He came back again three mornings in a row. Yesterday morning he looked good and chipper. He ate and as he sat on the perch he looked me right in the eye. I didn't move because I didn't want to scare him. It lasted only a few seconds and he was again gone. He didn't come this morning and I miss him. I think he stayed here long enough to recuperate so he could go on to his destination. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of him while he sat there daily eating. I wish I had because I had gotten attached to that little bird. It isn't raining today so I guess he took advantage of it to travel on. When he looked me in the eye I choose to think he was saying Thank You Kind Lady. Well You are welcome you beautiful creature. Come back anytime!!

No comments: