Sunday, May 10, 2009

MOVING WITH DADDY

5-9-09...MOVING WITH DADDY

Daddy worked in a coal mine and had to go over to the next state to work. Now and then we would all pack up and move with him so we could be together. It was not easy on any of us. Norman was too small to mind much but I always hated the school. I never could make friends there. I don't know if they just didn't like me or if it was just that I was different but I always felt lonely. I just missed everything about being away from my home. I did love being with my Daddy though so I don't remember ever complaining.
When we moved we just left our house in Arkansas unlocked. I saw something that Mama called a skeleton key once but it was never used. In fact I remember the lock was not even usable. No need to worry though no one would bother a thing. That is hard to believe isn't it? Especially for some of you that are younger. I don't know how it was in bigger places but where I lived no one locked a door, Ever!
In Oklahoma we always lived in an apartment on the second floor. Daddies room he shared with other miners was on the third floor. No refer, but we had running water. Also we had a bathroom with a real big bathtub in it. It was at the end of the courier and four apartments used it. Even so we thought that was neat. My Brother was four when he went in the bathroom. I was waiting outside the door for him. Norman locked the door which he had been told never to do because it was very hard to unlock. He locked it and of course couldn't get it open. Oh My Gosh! When he wanted out of course he was locked in and scared. He started screaming. I was trying to open the door and of course couldn't.. I ran back just a few steps to our apartment hollering at Mama. Mama and two other women came out of their apartments. Everyone tried to get Norman to quieten down and unlatch the door. But of course that didn't happen.
No elevators in that building or any other building at that time. One of the women ran down two flights of stairs to get the janitor.
Now let me tell you about that janitor. He was old and slow. He licked his tongue out and in constantly and some mean people called him snake because of that habit. He didn't mind though and would even answer to the name. He was all bent over and Daddy always said a strong wind would blow him down. That was probably not far from the fact either.
It seemed like hours before he got there. Probably wasn't that long but it was a long time. Of course he didn't bring any tools and I was sent back down to ask the lady manager for his little tool belt. I lugged it back up there as fast as I could, which I suspect was faster that any of the ladies or that old man.
He took the door down to get Norman out. Poor little boy had cried till he was vomiting on the floor. When I saw my little Brother crying I started crying. Mama was crying and one of the other ladies was crying. Mama said much later that she saw the poor old man wiping tears too.
Norman finally settled a little bit and stopped crying. Mama rocked him and sang to him while I stayed nearby. I remember being really worried about my little Brother. After he went to sleep he snuffed in his sleep. Mama held him all evening while he slept. I laid down on the floor in front of her and went to sleep too.
After all these years I still get teary eyed thinking about this. I'm sure Mama did many times too. I doubt that Norman even remembers it.
We stayed with Daddy until Summer and always went home for the Summer so Daddy could raise his garden. My Parents had a rough time back then but they loved us enough that we didn't ever know how hard it was. Thank you Mama and Daddy!!!!!

No comments: