Wednesday, December 23, 2009

DOWN BUT NOT OUT

12-23-09...DOWN BUT NOT OUT

I wrote this for a couple of teenagers whom I had the bad luck of running in to in Wal Mart one day only about three months ago. My mind is slow and I had forgotten this until I saw a show on TV about out of control teens this morning.

DOWN BUT NOT OUT

I'm sixty five, I'm over the Hill.
I've lived a lot, got more to go still.
I'm made from good stock, been there done that.
When it comes to life, I know bout' that.
So young person, when you look at me
you see wrinkles, it's laugh lines to me.
I may sag and bag here and there,
and aches and pains I've had my share.
My eyes are bad but I can still see,
just exactly what you think of me.
When I'm in a line ahead of you,
I hear your sighs when I'm slow to get through.
I see you young man when you roll your eyes,
I know what you're thinking, cause you see I'm wise.
My shoulders may be stooped , I may puff and groan.
My steps may shuffle as I go along.
As you go through life at your fast pace my dears,
Never knowing me, never seeing my tears.
You might break my heart but you can't break my will.
I've been here a while, will be a while still.

Clydene Thomas Overbey
12/23/09

No comments: