Sunday, August 3, 2008

GETTIN READY TO GO

7-24-08...GETTIN READY TO GO

Now, I remember this incident vaguly and Mama and Auntie filled us in on details several times as we got older. My Brother was born when I was four almost five. Brenda's brother was born exactly one year earlier. So I was five at the time this happened and like I said I have vague memories of it. I think Brenda and I were sorta' kinda' jealous of our little brothers. One reason I think that is because I very distincly remember Telling My Daddy to take him back because he was ugly and I don't want him! Didn't take me long to love him though. But this one time I think we were both kinda' aggervated at them because we had to go on a trip to the Dr when they were both sick. No one home to keep us and our parents would never leave us with anyone anyway. Just the CODE of the families or something. It had to be hard on them getting all four of us ready at the same time and we went everywhere together. Don't know why just the way it was. No car so my other Aunt was coming to get us and she was soooo! persnickity Mama said. Brenda and I were first. We got all clean and in our dresses with matching socks and bonnets. No pants and sneakers then. They hadn't even been invented yet. Well I guess we looked like little dolls cause' our Mama's said so. They told us to sit down and don't get dirty till' they got the boys ready. We did just that but it was taking so long we got figity'. we didn't figure it would hurt to go out on the porch where it was cooler now would it!? Couldn't fault us for that. Could You? We sat there like the little dolls we were for what seemed like a long time to us. Later we were told it was only about five minutes till' they came looking for us. Can't say I really believed that then.
Brenda lets go look at the garden. OK. Her Daddy had just ploughed the garden yesterday and it had rained on it. He told us that things would really grow good now so we figured those taters' would be about big enough to eat and wouldn't our Mama's be prowd of us if we got some of them for supper. (I REMEMBER THINKING THAT) We just walked on out there to do just that. The ground was really soft I guess and our little legs were really short and I had a new white dress on. WHOOPS! What tha heck? I remember being scared to death because I couldn't move with my legs up to my hips buried in black mud. "BREEENNNDAAA Help!!! I can't you help me. OH MY OH MY OH MY!!! We're gonna' sink under and no one will find us for a hundret' years!!! Of course you know our Mama's arrived right then carrying our Brothers on their hips and the rucus was on. The boys couldn't be put down and they couldn't come in and help us carrying them. ( I told them we didn't want them boys in the first place) As usual Brenda was right on my heels and she grabbed on and held tight. We were not going to sink more but we sure thought we were. Well, Thank The Good Lord My Aunt Georgia arrived then. She would not come and get us but she would hold the babies so they could. The very Idea. Can't y'all take care of these kids better than that. Told you she was persnikity'! Mama and Auntie waded in and pulled us out. I musta' really been stuck cause' I came out without my shoes. Sid. Brenda's Daddy ,dug them up later. That was the least of our worries though. Guess you know what happened then. Oh sure Peach tree tannin'. I know, I know, We deserved it but I still get a sick stomach when I see black mud. Besides It was all Brenda's fault anyway. Wasn't she a whole seven month's older than me? Little smart elec' shoulda' known better!!!

No comments: