Sunday, August 3, 2008

A TRIP BACK IN TIME

7-28-08...A TRIP BACK IN TIME

I just haven't been up to snuff lately. Not feeling well and getting depressed about it. I have always found laughing at things make them better but just couldn't get in a laughing mood. How stupid of me. All I needed to do was take me a little trip down memory lane to get myself back on track.
I got to thinking about the day Brenda and I dumped the cows water cause' we were mad at my Auntie. Now I can't for the life of me remember what we were mad at her about. It musta' been bad cause' we were very mad at her I know that.
Brenda's dad had a cow Ol' Pet who was in our pasture at the time. There was no pond so they came down and drew water from our well and filled a wash tub for the cow to drink. It was hard work. Auntie was doing it that day and Brenda and I were watching her, all the time whispering things about her in each others ears. BOY! Were we mad. She had to draw a bucket of water, walk over to the fence, pour it in, then come back, draw another bucket, go back, pour it in and do that till' the tub was full. Hard work and the weather was hot. We sat there like the little Angels that we were till' Auntie went back through the pasture to her house. We had whispered and whispered and got ourselves into one big tizzy' of a madder than a hornet mad. I said, Brenda lets pour out that ol' water. That'll show her. Yep that'll sure show her Brenda said. We ran over and crawled under the fence. Brenda, You get here and I'll get there and we'll both push at the same time. OK lets do it. Well we Huffed and we puffed but the tub was so heavy it wouldn't budge. What'll we do now Brenda said. Don't know Brenda let me think. (she never helped me think) OK, here's what we do, we get the bucket and pour out one at a time. That shouldn't take long. I went first of course and succeded in pouring half a bucket of water all over me but it was out of the tub wasn't it. Brenda took her turn and did about the same thing but we were on a roll now. At least we were till' my Mama hollered from the kitchen window. You girls get out of that water right now. She thought we were just playing in the water. If she'da known what we were up to all of us woulda been saved from later problems. But she didn't sooo. Soon as she was outta' sight we went back to our work. Boy did we ever work hard. I guess getting madder' than a hornet puts you in gear. I don't know how long we worked at that but I do know I wouldn't want to do it right now. Work is work don't ya know. When we got enough of it out then we were able to tip the tub over and dump the rest. The tub tipped over on a rock and that made one heck of a racket which brought my Mama running out. Now we had us a lot of explaining to do which we tried hard to do to no avail. See Mama knew we were mad at Auntie so she already had it figured out. She hollered, (we were in hollering distance between the two houses) told Auntie to Come here a minute and we knew the jig was up. When Auntie got there I don't think she had a hard time figureing it out either. Our Mama's were really smart that way. Why would you girls do that to poor ol' Pet now she is thirsty? (I guess that was reverse phycholigy (Make em feel guilty) and it worked, we did feel sorry for ol' Pet but we were still mad at Auntie. We thought we had really gotten back at her and It just served her right, the ol' mean woman. Set that tub up girls Auntie said, which we did. We were beginning to feel a little better toward Auntie right now. She seemed to be taking it pretty good wasn't acting mad at all. Well girls the tub has to be refilled now don't it. Oh yes Auntie we sure don't want ol' Pet to get thirsty. Boy this was easy. We thought we were gonna' really get it for this one. Auntie and Mama each got a bucket, walked to the well, took turns drawing a bucket of water, put half in each bucket and said come here girls!!! We knew we couldn't draw a bucket of water we were not strong enough to do that yet. So what were they gonna' do now. Go get a switch each they said. Oh my goodness mercy sakes alive what in the world are they doing Brenda? I don't know, maybe we should run. Nope I done that before, don't work I said. We gathered our switches and took them back to our Mama's. Now girls, each of you will bend over and pick up a bucket and go pour it in the tub and bring it back here. We didn't hardly know what to think then but we bent over to get the bucket and Boy did we find out!! When we bent over our legs were stripped with the switch. Mama! That will kill us if we get a stripe for every bucket I said ,and Brenda said yeaw that's gonna take us a long time. well you should have thought of that when you dumped it out they both said together!!! Oh My oh My Oh My we started crying and begging and making all kinds of promices and those two just said. Get going. Of course we only had to do it three times but we were so scared after the third time the lesson was learned. we felt so bad after that for our Mama's. They had to fill that tub back up and it was a hard job, we should know shouldn't we. We learned more than one lesson that day. I still feel the shame when I think what we did. But of course it didn't stop us from getting into mischief. We were, though, careful not to do anything that would hurt our parents in that way again. We had good Parents and we loved them, and we both miss them terribly now. They were the best. YEP THE VERY BEST!!!!!

No comments: