Sunday, August 3, 2008

STILL HONERY

7-25-08...STILL HONERY

Brenda and I could always get ourselves into messes. Still can if we see each other. She lives 300 mi. away and I sure miss her bad sometimes. When we talk on the phone it is always for hours. I talked to her today and she told me something I had forgotten. This happened when we were twelve and we sure enough knew better by then.
I was spending the night at Brenda's. Our Parents had gone to visit my Aunt and uncle and we didn't want to go. Auntie left Brenda's older sister in charge of us. She was 16 and should have been more responsible. Auntie had a bushell of grapes on the porch. She was going to can them the next day. Our friend Travis who was 11 had told us that his Dad made wine in their cellar out of grapes. He said his Dad cooked grapes, put in some sugar and some cake yeast, the only kind there was at the time. We decided we would just make some. Oh Lord, Yes we did!! By then we knew very well how to clean our mess up so there was no problem there. We cooked the whole grapes till they were mushy, put in a bunch of sugar and half a pound cake of yeast and cooked it some more. I don't know why Tut ( her name was Yvonne but we all called her Tut and don't ask me why) didn't come out of her bedroom when that smell started but she didn't. Smelled sorta' good but also sorta' bad. We got some of Auntie's canning jars and caps and sealed that stuff up. We cleaned up our mess real good, we were experts at that now. But Brenda, what do we do with the wine now? We can't drink it. Well she said I've got one dresser drawer that is mine and we can put it in there. Which we did. Right in there went 3 pints of beautiful purple juice. We hid it under Brenda's underwear. We had no idea what we were supposed to do now so We'd just wait and ask Travis when we see him. Well that turned out just fine for a change. We didn't get caught and no one would ever know. OH Boy were We Ever Wrong!!! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
About a week later I was again spending the night with Brenda and we had forgot all about our wine making. We hadn't got caught or made a big mess so it sure didn't seem like a big thing anymore. Not as much fun, if you know what I mean. Well we were asleep when we heard something. Sounded like a gun might have fired in the woods so we went back to sleep. We heard some more strange noises during the night but that's the way it is in the country at night. A sound carries a long way. Nothing to worry about. Right? Wrong again. The next morning Brenda went to get clean clothes and noticed something funny looking running out of her dresser drawer. Oh Yeaw, You guessed it. She opened it and there in all it's glory was our wine, broken glass and all. Brenda what in the world is that I hollered. Well I don't know she said, Tut is probably up to something. She did pester us a lot. So what did we do but go get Auntie and just told on that hateful Tut. Just look what she did we said. Are you gonna' make her go get a switch? Auntie hollered Tut get in here right now!!! But in the meantime Brenda and I must have had the same thought because Brenda looked at me and said,,,, Oh My God Clydene do you know what that is? well of course I knew what that was but I sure wasn't planning to tell. Brenda You big mouth. How could you be so stupid. Of course then we had to fess' up and tell the whole story and all three of us had to go get a switch. Us for what we had done and Tut for not watching us when she was supposed to have been. All four parents got their turn at us that time and we had to live in antisipation of when each one would take their turn. They made us suffer for a long time over that one. Now was that fair? Of course it was!!!! One more thing. You may be wondering why Auntie hadn't found the jars. Wasn't that way. We all had to fold and put our own clothes away so Auntie had no reason to look in Brenda's drawer. I think Auntie and my Mama both started looking then. Never saw them do it but I know my Mama and My Auntie. YEP!!!

No comments: