Sunday, August 3, 2008

SCHOOL DAYS

7-17-08...SCHOOL DAYS

Brenda was only seven month's older than me but she started to school the year before I did. I missed her so bad. I was just lost so when she came home in the evening I guess we had lots of catching up to do. I ran up the lane to meet her one day when she got off the bus. She was running down to meet me. We decided to cut through the pasture so we'd meet faster. Brenda's Dad had an honery old gray plough horse in that pasture that we were leery of so we usually watched for him. One day we weren't watching good enough and Smokie ran out between us. He was snorting and rearing up. We weren't really scared of him (WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN) so we just decided to go around him. Well that honery old horse wouldn't let us pass. At first we were laughing and giggling but soon we realized that Smokie was serious. Brenda was the jittery kind anyway but I was fisty. I decided that ol' gray mare wasn't going to get the best of me. No way! No siree! I said, You just get outta' here you ugly ol' thing, I'm not afraid of you. Come on Brenda we'll crawl under the fence. Brenda was hangin' onto my dress as we ran. I could hear that ol' nag right behind us. I thought he was just playing with us but I was wrong about that because he started nudgin' Brenda in the backside. She went wilder than a rabid skunk. She jerked my dress to hold me back I guess. well I was movin' on and the whole bottom part of my dress ripped off at the waist and caught on my ankles. Somehow Brenda got all wound up in the dress and we both hit the ground. Hey, Now I was scareder' that Brenda. We were right at the edge of the barbed wire fence when we landed. Brenda turn loose of me so I can get out of this dress. I can't! Why not? My arm is tangled up in it. Oh My gosh! Oh Lord help us! We were screamin' like wild cats caught in a briar thicket. Ol' Smokie had stopped and was rearing up. Each time he came back down his hooves were a little closer to us. Dirt was a flyin' all over us. I said, Brenda turn loose of me. Mama is gonna' kill me for tearin' my dress and I'm a gonna' tell her you did it. You little cry baby. I looked up and saw Auntie running torward us with her arms a flyin sayin Get Out of there. She was talking to Smokie but I thought she was talkin' to us. I said Auntie make Brenda turn loose of me. She tore my dress clean off me. Make her let go of me. Auntie said Be still girls, Don't move. well we were havin' none of that. We wanted outta' there and we wanted outta' there right now. We kept squallblin' around there on the ground and Smokie kept rearing up and a snortin' like an ol' pig. I don't know how my Auntie would have done it if My Mama hadn't come runnin' up right then. They dropped down on their knees and each or them got hold of one of us and pulled us under the fence at the same time. they said they just knew if they didn't get us at the same instant that Smokie might get the one left behind. Mother's think fast. Then there is the fact that Brenda and I were so tangled uo together they probably couldn't have pulled us apart anyway. God only knows how we two survived to grow up. we had good Parents and God watching over us. GOD must have thought I'll be so glad when these two grow up. They are wearing me out!!!!

No comments: