Sunday, August 3, 2008

THEY CALLED ME CAT

7-15-08...THEY CALLED ME CAT

Brenda and I were like "Lucy and Ethel". If one got into something you could bet the other was right there helping. I was the one who usually did the thinkin' it up. And we both did the doin'. Brenda was quiet and shy and didn't say much. I think because she couldn't talk plain and was teased. That brings me to the story I started out to tell.
We had four older cousins who were the meanest most tormentin' "things" on earth and they delighted in pestering us. Brenda would go hide but my claws would come out. Hence the name "Cat" was pasted on me. They lived to make our lives miserable. They all lived about a mile away and weren't always there but when they were the cat fights started. Later when we were grown they said they loved to see me put my claws out and hiss at them with my eyes firey. Now it is funny, but not then.
One of them seemed bound and determined to make me hiss and spat. Brenda would run off and abandon me every time. She'd come crawling out of what ever hole she hid in with her head bowed down in shame as soon as they were gone. One day I said" Now Brenda we have to do sumpthin' to those knot heads and "You are gonna to help me". No I'm not-- Yes you are! That went on for a while and then she agreed. " Now here is what we do".
The boys rode their bicycles over when they came and one of them was a shiny red with those clicky thingies' in the wheels, tassle hanging out of the handle bars and just spruced up something awful. Sonny was so puffed up about that bicycle. We were not allowed to touch it. Don't even get near it he would say. He polished and shined it from the little red neck flag blowing in the wind to the tires. Always wipin' and swipin' on it. Now Brenda, that's where we get him! We waited till' he came without the other three one day. He was 15 we were 6and7. Got it?? We planned for a week and had everything ready and stashed under the house. He rode up, got off his shiny bike, put the kick stand down, and turned around to swipe and wipe on that stupid bike. We were rough, and we were ready, We got us a big hand full of cow manure, (all fresh and just the right consistancy,) got behind him and said "Hey Sonny". He looked and the crap flew right into his face in all it's green glory. While he was spluttering and wiping and saying I'll kill you both, we took the bucket of manure and dumped it all over his bicycle with pig slop and mud all mixed in. Then we just stood there and giggled and pointed till he got his wits about him enough to start after us, Them we ran like the wind around the house and right smack dab into my Daddy. Brenda started running the other way, away from my Daddy and saw she was runnin' toward Sonny so wheeled around and just stood there. Brenda said, Clydene did it, I didn't wanna'. I said not a word because I knew that everyone knew she was telling the truth. Besides I could see my Daddies lips start curlin' and quiverin' and knew he was trying not to laugh. Sonny had stopped in his tracks too because he knew not to touch us with my Daddy standing there. When Daddy burst out laughing then Brenda and I knew we could relax so we laughed till tears were making tracks down our faces through something that smelled to high heaven like a mixture of green manure, mud, and pig slop. Sonny, That big old 15 yr. old baby laid down on the ground and started kickin' and screamin' like a hyenna. Daddy knew exactly what had been going on and I guess he knew we would take care of it when we got enough, so he had just sat back and waited for us to take care of that smart elec tormenter. And boy oh boy did we take care of him. After we all (including Sonny) got a few words of wisdom from Daddy we all went to the creek way down in Brenda' pasture. There we washed ourselves, and Sonny washed his bicycle. He never quit his snooty ways with that bicycle and it carried over into all the cars he owned afterward, BUT!!! He left Brenda and I to our own devices and warned the other 3 boys to do the same. Which they did!!! They were bigger than us but as it turned out----- WE Were Smarter'n them!!!!!
Part two of this is a story of Sonny all grown up with his first shiny red car, and what his own 4yr. old niece did to the car.

No comments: